I have a love/hate relationship with WordPress.
I still believe it is one of the most stable and powerful platforms available to build a website. With tens of thousands of themes and plugins that help expand the functionality of your website, it’s the perfect tool to help grow your website as your business grows. Plus, the software itself and all the updates are free!
But, along with that power, comes great responsibility, which includes ensuring that you keep the underlying core software, your theme(s) and the plugins up-to-date.
On June 8, 2017, WordPress.org released that latest version of the WordPress software to the general public. This is considered a major release (hence the two-digit version number).
In today’s show I discuss:
· Why it is so crucial to keep your WordPress files up to date
· What makes this version of WordPress considered a “major” update
· Why you always should update your software, but when it might be a good idea to wait a little while
· The #1 step to take before you do anything related to updating your site
· Why it is important to update ALL your themes and plugins on your site BEFORE you apply this new update
· What exactly are the new features in WordPress 4.8
Links from this episode:
· The official WordPress 4.8 announcement [ https://wordpress.org/news/2017/06/evans/ ]
· Don’t want to mess with this stuff every month? Purchase our security release service [http://store.deannafenton.com/store/aDYteB2P] and sit back knowing that your site is safe, secure and always up-to-date. You can pay month-to-month [ http://store.deannafenton.com/store/aDYteB2P] or get a 10% discount by paying annually.
Need a handy step by step guide to updating your WordPress software? Click here for my step by step guide to updating WordPress